March 17, 2012 | March 18, 2012
Terno Inferno | Saguijo | Guijo St., San Antonio Village, Makati City
Why do two colors, put one next to the other, sing? Can one really explain this? no. Just as one can never learn how to paint.
– Pablo Picasso (1881 – 1973)
.original. raw. unedited.
when the lights are out
please do everything but sulk
for in no time, the light will again come our way
and in this moment of bliss
we may start to ponder
that while yeah we’re young wild and free
I’m really not a fan of music. If I’m asked for my favorite bands/artists, I usually go for the local bands from the 90s (the likes of Eraserheads and Parokya ni Edgar) and Maroon 5 (I think my ears are so used to Adam’s voice, that I could easily recognize their music from other artists). Heck, I could actually live with any genre so long as the stereo’s not blaring.
So where does this at-last-im-actually-listening-to-music entry lead to?
This afternoon, as I was scouring the internet for random finds, I stumbled upon a Facebook friend’s Youtube link to a cover of Adele’s Rolling in the Deep.
Click here to listen to Boyce Avenue’s acoustic cover of Adele’s Rolling in the Deep
I listened to it and in that moment, I swear I felt infinite (chos!)!
I instantly looked for the artists’ (which is Boyce Avenue, by the way) Youtube channel and drowned my ears with their 85++ covers of top-rated songs. Well, one need not listen to all of their covers to actually appreciate their music.
And since I’m a researcher, I put my stalking skills to a good use, and here’s what I found!
- Boyce Avenue is an American band made up of Manzano brothers Alejandro (lead vocals, guitar, piano), Fabian (guitar, backing vocals, keyboards), and Daniel (percussion, bass, backing vocals, violin), with their friend Stephen Hatker (drums, percussion) who eventually left the band.
- one of their fans on the street where the boys grew up
- The band’s name is inspired by a neighborhood street where they grew up.
- Daniel and Fabian used to have day jobs; Daniel with a law degree from Harvard and Fabian, an architect.
- The band started making airwaves in Youtube in 2007, and soon gathered 300 million hits and counting and half a million subscribers for their covers of chart-topppers.
- They had their first overseas gig, guess where? In the Philippines!
So I particularly picket out some of their covers from their Youtube Channel and immediately tagged them as my new favorites. These are:
Also, I intentionally didn’t mention anything about their original compositions as I’ve yet to hear those. Mehe.
(Disclaimer: The author does not own any of the photos above. Credits for the shots go to their rightful owners.)